Sunday, February 5, 2017

No Texture

Persimon Dreams hosts a challenge every few weeks called Project Quilting.  You get a theme and have a week to create a quilt. Then you blog about it and show your creative process of getting to the finished quilt. I was looking so forward to doing one of the challenges. So on January 29th the time came for project #3, I was all set and ready to go.   The theme was  "Texture", not just from quilts, look around and what do you see.  Well I immediately got an idea of doing something with the cactus we have in our front yard.  I have always loved the pods and fuzzy stuff that grows on it. 



 Then on that day we took a little drive to a neighboring town and so I was keeping my mind open and snapped a couple more photo's of stuff.  This brick wall sparked an idea of doing a Koi pond. 
And So I was looking for pictures of Koi. 


Then since I was having trouble getting that to work the way I wanted I teetered back and forth and thought maybe I should do the cactus again - but found out another lady I know that does these challenges was doing a cactus - so that was out.

Next I looked into this book my friend gave me - some day I definitely want to do some of her work.... 

These pictures don't really show how wonderful her work is, but it is very 3 dimensional.   But that didn't seem to work in my brain either 

Then I thought about Star Fish and Coral Reef, that has texture.  So I started looking for pictures of that and wondered how I could make that work. I had some good ideas of how to do it - but as time was dwindling for the week - I again tried to be realistic and just say no. 



Then ...today - Deadline in 3 hours - my brain still wanting to participate - Honey Comb.  Again I go on a search for pictures.  


And through this whole process each item that came to mind, there were also corresponding thoughts of items in my sewing stash that I could use to make these items come to life.

But no - I just have to say No.  I can not create and complete a whole little quilt including binding in less than 3 hours. So NO Texture, however if nothing else this week, I've taken notice.  I've become more aware of things being 3 dimensional not just there.  Project Quilting is supposed to spark creativity in us, and though I don't have anything to enter in the contest, it accomplished what it was meant to.  
Now I'm going to go sew something - and wait for the theme of the next challenge.
Have a Blessed Day!   Lynn 

No comments:

Post a Comment

August 2023 Taya, Jorden and Zach

 Hi Kids.. One grandson leaves then the next batch of kids come.  Summer is so fun for our family to come visit.  Taya our daughter and our ...