Friday, April 20, 2018

Zippy Fidgets

Each of the quilting guilds, has a variety of items they work on for charity.  I try to get at least one lap size quilt done for each guild per year and then keep up with the monthly projects that we do for the senior centers and adult care facilities.  Usually these projects are different for both guilds but I was happy to hear both guilds mention they needed more "Fidget Mats" for the Alzheimer care facility.  
I like to put zippers on them - but I thought it would be fun to make a little pocket for them to reach into or place a little treasure. 

I grabbed some fleece from the guild garage sale to make the mats, along with come coordinating fabric.

I thought the bright colors and swirls would be stimulating.
I got these prepped and ready for charity day. 
After doing a couple of the mats using the fleece and material I realized it was pretty flimsy. 
I did the first one with the fleece facing up.
Next I did the fleece on the back.   
Either way - it was flimsy.
A couple of the other ladies were using place mats and attaching the little bobbles.  Also in the garage sale were a large stack of place mats with tags still on them. So I abandoned ship and started using them too. 





It's all about textures and things they can touch or move.  Zippers, beads they can slide and bumpy stuff they can touch. 
Only 3 of us were working on these and between us I believe we got about 20 done.  The others were working on "Hug" Shawls.  You do strips of fabric on one side then do fleece on the other which makes a shawl for your shoulders with little pockets for hands. We're supposed to get together again on Tuesday night to work more on the shawls.  I may help sew some strips together but I'm just not into making the whole shawl.  Hence why I opted for the fidget mats. :)  We'll see. Like to do my part but.  That was it for Friday.
Blessings,
Lynn 

No comments:

Post a Comment

August 2023 Taya, Jorden and Zach

 Hi Kids.. One grandson leaves then the next batch of kids come.  Summer is so fun for our family to come visit.  Taya our daughter and our ...