Monday, January 11, 2016

Ornaments, Dolls and Trains

It's so easy to let a few days sneak by.  Okay where did I leave off... I had to go check, that's the problem with waiting to post then I loose where I'm at.  :)

I showed you that I got the binding on the ornaments on Tuesday morning.
Well with a little TV time on Tuesday night and Wednesday I was able to finish the hand stitching of the binding.  A goal done and a gift ready.  Yay!

Then because I was out of  hand stitching material for evenings (that's really a lie - I have tons) I had to pick which item I wanted to work on.  Well I figured this would be a good opportunity for me to work on the UFO buster goal of the month which ended up being "Folk Art Gathering". 
Here is the before status picture:  

I don't know if you can see it in the picture above so I'll point out a couple of things.  The crow on the left and the pineapple have letters stitched on them.  And the basket is basted but not stitched - well it's started but not done. 
Okay now for what I've done so far this month.  Added the lettering and a number to the flower. 

Next I finished the basket, and added the heart and then stitched the letters and more numbers. 

There will be a crow overlay on the bottom right side when it's put together so that's why the numbers are up a little on the right side.  
Next I worked on the letters that weren't finished.  I am whip stitching around the wool applique. Here is where it was when I started.  The "R" of Art. 

It went a lot faster than I thought it would and in no time at all I was done with all the lettering.  
Took a close up picture with the needle in the last "G". 

So with that done I figured I needed to get the next block ready. 
It's the block that will go on the far right of that row.  It's not a crow as it appears in the above picture that crow will be the over lay - it's a house.  I got it traced, cut out, wool windows fused on and started stitching the house.  By the time I ended last night, I was stitching the windows. 




What else have I been working on?  Well on Friday I had my normal sewing day at the cottage.  My friend Vickie has an Accu Go Cutter and so she helped me cut out Trains for a quilt I'm making for our grandson Caleb.  His favorite colors are Blue and Orange.  Here is one of 4 sets of the train we cut out. 
On the back of the cutter package they had a pattern suggestion on how to make the trains into a quilt. 

I have a panel that would work for the center - so I may make it similar to the above suggestion.   Here's the panel. 

To help keep it in the right color scheme, I'm thinking of cutting off the little red border - then I can add some blues and oranges, possibly in the piano key border like above. Then put the trains we cut out on a light grey background to tie it into the panel.  I have some other construction - train fabric that I originally bought to go with this.

  I could put the strips I cut off of the front with it for the back or use it in a whole different quilt.  We'll see how it goes.  

Along with that I got another order for a Baby Doll in a bag, she needs it by Tuesday night.  So I've been working on that - and continuing on with the other Dolls in a bag for the Quilt show Boutique. 
I have 4 bags completed.  Here is the one for the order: 

And here are the other 3 I have completed for the boutique. 



Now when I first started working with these little dolls above - I was concerned because they are so tiny.  The bodies are only about 2 1/2" long.  But I have to say- the clothes and tiny dresses are so easy.   I have 2 more of the tiny ones to make bags and clothes for and then I have some larger dolls.  

Along with my sewing projects, this is my first month as Vice President/Project Coordinator of the Stitch N Rippits guild, so I have been working to get BOM's and Project instructions ready.  We have come up a Scavenger Hunt this year in lieu of a BOM.  I think this is going to be so much fun.  Each month I will give them 3 words and they have to incorporate those 3 things into a quilt block each month.  We are going to have drawings each month you have a block you get an entry for one drawing and then if you complete your quilt you get entered into a different drawing. We think it sounds fun, hopefully our guild members will too. 

Well that's it for me for now.  
We're going to go visit a friend of my husbands that is in town for a couple of weeks and then do some grocery shopping?  And another friend just called and needs help with her computer so I'll stop by there on the way. 
Have a Blessed day.
Lynn 










No comments:

Post a Comment

August 2023 Taya, Jorden and Zach

 Hi Kids.. One grandson leaves then the next batch of kids come.  Summer is so fun for our family to come visit.  Taya our daughter and our ...