Tuesday, July 24, 2018

Modern Tree Distraction

Modern Trees is a quilt pattern offered by Christa Watson in 2013.  It was a Quilt A Long (QAL) in an attempt to help us design and work on our Free Motion Quilting.  I got the top done, Pin basted, all of the trees stitched in ditch and the Red and Green trees quilted. It's been like that ever since.  I pulled it out of the closet a couple of months ago thinking it would be a good match for my finishing UFO's and working on Christmas this year - Double Score.  I hadn't gotten to it yet since I was finishing other stuff, but yesterday it was a great distraction. As I was working down my July goal list I pulled out the Bear quilt and was going to finish the top stitching.

  After all I've been doing so good with my free motion quilting I was pumped up and ready.  Well after discussing the layout again with my Sister whom this quilt is for - 
I started in again and like last time I worked on the leaves - it's not going so well. I don't know if it's the fusible I used on the leaves.  I don't know if it's the thread.  I don't know if it's the fact that I only have one layer of stablilizer on the back and not batting and backing.   But.....
After a few of these same results I am frustrated and irritated and need a break. This is where the Modern Trees came in.  It was pinned and ready to go and I needed some reassurance that I could still quilt.  
Good News - I can still quilt.  Whew!  

 Bad News - I need to figure out something for the Bears.  I will try some different threads.  I have tried a couple different needles but will try different needle thread combos.  And I guess worse case I'll rip the leaves off and use a different fusible or method of getting them on.  I might be better hand appliqueing them on.  With all the time I've spent trying to get this top stitching done on them I could have already hand stitched them.  I'll figure it out I'm sure - but have to say it's more fun working on the Modern Tree's that is was the Bears.  
Have a Blessed day!
Lynn 

No comments:

Post a Comment

August 2023 Taya, Jorden and Zach

 Hi Kids.. One grandson leaves then the next batch of kids come.  Summer is so fun for our family to come visit.  Taya our daughter and our ...