Tuesday, December 8, 2015

The Wall

I think I'm too creative for my own good. You know how it is when you make a plan, then you second guess yourself or you come up with a better plan.  Doesn't always work the way you want it to.   I have come to the conclusion that I'm a great "Plan-a-lot-a-mus"  but I need to do a little more less planning and a little more doing.  :)  Let me lead you thru the garden.  Because if you know me, I can not only lead you thru the garden in a story, I can take you on a road trip.  LOL

On Friday I delivered the Blue Doll in a bag to Sheri then went on to the cottage to sew on the Bethlehem wall hanging.  I am blanket stitching the backing to it around the sides.  I got almost one side done, before it was time for lunch and time to decorate for the annual Stitch N Rippit's Christmas party.
Annette the owner of the cottage has so many decorations - it's amazing.  So we dusted and cleaned and swept and mopped and the started laying out decorations.



Doesn't it look festive?  We gave all of our decorations to our daughter before we moved.  Guess I need to start collecting again.  

Then Saturday I went to "Strip Club" at the quilt shop.  It's a monthly club that gets together and Sheri shows us how to make a quilt out of strips.  The class is only $5. and includes the pattern and demonstration.  Well this month she had small projects, a table runner or a table topper.  So I decided I would give it a try.  The table topper looked kind of like poinsettia's and I thought that would make a great present for the gift exchange for the Christmas party. 

 So I ask Sheri how long it took her to whip up the two tops that she had made, she said she made both tops in one day with interruptions.  Okay great - factor in that I'm not as fast as she is and that I don't have the special ruler that she used (they only had 5 and I missed getting one)  but I have templates and then the fact that I will need to quilt and bind it also.   2+2+ 35 carry the 6.... ha ha   Yep I have  rest of Saturday,  Sunday Monday and Tuesday morning.  I can do it.   
So I worked on it the rest of Saturday - and on Sunday - had a couple of hiccups.  I thought I was doing everything right but my black didn't come in the center like I wanted so I had to adjust the half square triangles too.  

But it worked and it was still pretty.  And by Sunday evening I had it to this point - 


Yay  - now all I have to do it quilt and bind and I still have Monday and Tuesday morning to do it. 

Monday came - we had things that we needed to get done - errands to run.  And I knew if we left the house it would be several hours before we returned.  So I tried to just leave it alone and enjoy the time while we were getting stuff done. And told myself that no matter what time we got home I would have to stay up until Midnight to get it done.  Because now - the other options that I had for a handmade gift would take me just as long to finish as quilting and binding this table topper.   
We get home after 5pm I make a salad and some soup - be eat and now it's after 6.  I go in and my backing isn't big enough.  What I bought extra.  I looked for an alternate black - nope no luck.  So I have to piece a the back on this little topper.  Then I get it ready and I'm done pinning it and
I HIT THE WALL
It was almost 8 pm and I just couldn't do it - I couldn't figure out how I wanted to quilt it - I'm trying to calculate how much longer it's going to take me.  I can't decide on a color to quilt it with.   And so I said enough.  I looked around at what alternates I had to give as a gift and decided one of my Dolls in a Bag would have to work.  Then prayed someone that would love it,  would get it.  :)  

I pondered my little issue that I had - and wondered how someone that plans as much as I do can run into these situations of not having enough time.  Because as all of this is happening I also see two other things that the deadlines are fast approaching on and not sure if  I will be able to meet them.  It's like I have all this time and then poof - times up.  I've come up with a couple of ideas that I think are factors.  One I get too creative and want to do too many things.  I used to be so honest with myself about how much time something would take and even factor in that I may have life interrupt and take one of my sew days away (Monday) - so I need to go back to that.  And then the other thing I have realized is although my planning is wonderful - I need to plan less and do more.  

Have a Blessed Day!  
Lynn 

No comments:

Post a Comment

August 2023 Taya, Jorden and Zach

 Hi Kids.. One grandson leaves then the next batch of kids come.  Summer is so fun for our family to come visit.  Taya our daughter and our ...